Dr. Buzzard's Original Savanah Band

Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band - I'll Play The Fool

This footage is taken from the 1978 Paul Anka Show and you can see Anka sitting at one of the bar tables. I have treasured this footage for all these years and is the the oldest personal recording that I posses. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the 30 years in my achieve.

The concept of taking the disco sound back to the 1940's worked well for this band and was quite unique at the time and a very danceable groove too. I collected about 5 of their albums before they later became Kid Creole & The Coconuts. The lead singer here, Cory Daye, though was not still with them. Their 1976 song "Sunshower" recorded with Daye, has been sampled by a number of contemporary artists, including A Tribe Called Quest, M.I.A., Ghostface Killah, De La Soul, and Doug E. Fresh.

It was also remixed by Japanese recording artist, Fantastic Plastic Machine. The song was also featured in the film Boyz 'N The Hood. The song "Cherchez La Femme" was covered by Ghostface Killah in 2000, as "Cherchez La Ghost" on his Supreme Clientele album. Other members of the band are August Darnell Browder & Andy Hernandez aka Coati Mundi who emailed me for copy of this footage when i had it on YouTube some years ago. As a live working band (kid & coconuts) they were one of the best I've ever seen and I have lots of footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment